Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thenewgoat, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    Okay 2 emergencies

Okay so my first hatch and i had a chick come out not walking with legs crossed just lays on its side.

other one dried out it its shell after trying for over 12 hours to hatch so i helped it as it pipped on the large end and zipped to the small side and got stuck i left it in the egg but had it zipped so that it could push out when ready about an hour later it popped out but now has a cord coming from its belly button area that is about 2 1/2 inches long what do i do with it he is moving around really well and the cord is almost dried and fell of now.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

How long has the chick that's not standing been like that? Do the legs, particularly the hocks, look normal? Sometimes chicks are just exhausted after the effort of hatching (especially if it took them a long time to zip and emerge), so rest and a supplement like Sav-A-Chick can help if there's no leg injury or abnormality.

The chick with the cord still attached should be fine - it should dry up and fall off. Keep an eye on it to make sure it's not bleeding or otherwise looking like it's not drying up.

Congrats on your new chicks!

3. Thenewgoat

Sep 3, 2016
    It hatched yesterday but pipped the wrong end and was in the shell for over 24 hours with out zipping so i help it get a air hole so it could breath gave it more time and finally had to take it out of the shell because it was asking as if it was having a hard time i flipped around to the large in and pipped the air cell then turned back around to the small side to try and hatch again. It has been almost 24 hours it just lays on its side its legs dont work at all they are kind of hard to move out straight where they should be it is like the legs a turned in at the hip

4. Thenewgoat

Sep 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by