Baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bub19, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Bub19

Bub19 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    I have three Rhode Island red chicks that are possibly four weeks old and three Americana chicks that should be 3 weeks old how much longer do they need to have a heat light? They are all hens

2. Bub19

Bub19 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Only at night depending on your ambient temp. Three-week old chicks need a heat source of around 75F-80F and four-week olds need even less. (This is not constant heat!) By age five weeks your chicks should no longer require a heat source unless it's below freezing.

1 person likes this.
  4. FamilyFarmCO

FamilyFarmCO Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    Hello, I am not absolutely sure but I looked it up and it say up to 10 weeks. Good luck with those cute chicks!

1 person likes this.
  5. Bub19

Bub19 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Thanks guys we are bout 55° here during the day right night low 30°40°range at night

6. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I ignore those heat guidelines. I go by chick behavior. I found that, contrary to the Heat Scripture, I mean Guideline, chicks prefer it closer to 85F during their first week instead of the recommended 95F.

The Guideline misleads people into overheating their chicks, and at the very least, coddling them with heat far longer than what is beneficial.

Our OP has the ideal ambient outdoor temps to harden off his chicks to cold, benefiting them far more than continuing to supply them with constant heat. They will complete feathering out much sooner, and the quality of feathers will be much better than chicks who stay under heat for weeks. Ten weeks is way too old to still be needing a heat source.

I brood outdoors. My day-old chicks have a heat source of around 85F (heating pad system). The ambient temp is in the 30s at night and not over 60F during the day. They are finished with their heat source by age four weeks and are completely feathered out. Even at just a few days old, the chicks do not spend all their time under the heat source. They are running around, exploring their new world, and the cold doesn't seem to bother them a bit. When they need a warm up, they know to go under their heat source.

2 people like this.
  7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I also brood outside, and our temps are a lot colder than the OP has in the springtime. It is surprising how much time the chicks - even tiny ones - spend away from the heat source and just running all over exploring their surroundings! I also use the heating pad system. @azygous hit it smack on the head! Your temperatures are perfect for weaning them off heat and getting them outside.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Also outdoor brooding... Mine took themselves off heat a couple nights ago -- right at 5 weeks (4 weeks for one of them). They chose the roost over the MHP when they were ready, no guessing, pushing, or worrying involved. It really is a lot less stressful to let them self-manage a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by