Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickChick143, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ChickChick143

ChickChick143 Just Hatched

Apr 22, 2017
    Hello
    I have 3 4 day old chicks who are ADORABLE, but seem terribly frightened of me! When I pick them up they scream. I've been holding them all at once and that helps, they go right to sleep. But it feels like they are so scared of me so I'm not sure what to do. Any words of wisdom for this new mommy?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

It just takes time, if you hand feed them, and spend a lot of time with them, they'll get used to you

3. Izzychicky

Izzychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2017
    When I got my chicks they were a little scared but the more you handle them they will get used to you. My EE was a little scared of me but I played with her and she is one of the sweetest. Sometimes if I carry a chick away from the rest she gets a little scared, but don't worry they will grow to like you:D

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you handle your chicks from the side instead of reaching down for them from above, you'll notice a huge difference in how they react to you.

I strongly advocate side access brooders for this reason. (Cardboard appliance boxes instead of plastic totes.) Chicks have a strong predator/prey reflex, and hands thrust at them from above is the same to them as a hawk diving at them to eat them.

Have you been on the Topic of the Week thread on how to raise friendly chicks? Lots of good advice there.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickChick143

ChickChick143 Just Hatched

Apr 22, 2017
    Thank you for this @azygous very helpful. I have a cardboard box now. I will look on that forum

6. KJ6485

KJ6485 Chillin' With My Peeps

I raised chicks for the 1st time last spring, as chicks they all had personalities of their own, there were scared ones and calm ones, then they got to be "teenagers" and a few stayed very calm , and would jump up on me, but many of them i couldn't even catch, but now since they are all big girls, i can pick up any one of them and they don't mind. Keep with it, and they will be fine, but mine definately went through periods of being flighty.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by