Baby chicks

marktoo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
California's central valley
I have some week old chicks. Are they able to find their way to the ecoglow brooder in the dark? The past 6 nights I've been putting them under after dark, getting tired of doing it but I don't want to be stayin up all night to check on them. Don't want them getting cold either temps dropping into the 60s. Thanks!

What is the temp when they go to bed? How old are they? How many? What is the size of the eco-glo? Do they use it at all during the day? What are day time temps? Is it properly adjusted? I'm not familiar with the eco glo, and use a heating pad cave instead. Not sure if the EG works on the same principle where the chick needs to have oontact with it in order to be warmed. They may be telling you they don't need it.

I think I might consider making them a huddle box, or a wool hen.

20170712_064344.jpg
20170712_064316.jpg
Temps range from low 60s to low 100s. Generally low to mid 80s at dusk. Little buggers are 1 week old. I usually find them in a puppy pile under the feeder. Last night I shoed under the plate just before dark only to find them back under the feeder at full dark. Placed them under plate. They were still under plate before dawn. Considering moving eco glow to opposite corner.
First time using eco glow & fist time raising them in coop

View attachment 1073638 View attachment 1073647 Temps range from low 60s to low 100s. Generally low to mid 80s at dusk. Little buggers are 1 week old. I usually find them in a puppy pile under the feeder. Last night I shoed under the plate just before dark only to find them back under the feeder at full dark. Placed them under plate. They were still under plate before dawn. Considering moving eco glow to opposite corner.
First time using eco glow & fist time raising them in coop
Usually when they huddle they are cold. I would try to raise the heater up a few inches and see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom