Baby Chicks

bucket1961

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Hi,
My duaghter has bought home frome school 8 1 week old baby chicks in a plastic storge container that is fitted with a light, do we turn this off tonight and cover with a blanket to keep them warm or do we keep it on? please help quickly.

At this age, your chicks need to be kept at a temp. of 90 degrees. Keep that light on! The blanket might suffocate them, so I wouldn't try it. When the chicks are 2 weeks old, then you can go down to 85 degrees. For every week of age after that keep lowering the temperature 5 degrees until you reach room temp. Good luck with the chicks! They are so much fun!

Congrats on the new chicks! I would definitly keep the light on them for warmth. Also make sure they have food and fresh water. I would recommend going to a feed store (maybe Tractor Supply Co if you have one by you) and getting a chick fountain for their water so they cant drown in it. Good luck and keep us updated.
big_smile.png

If you have zero experience with chicks, you really need to educate yourself. First, go to the top of the page and check out the Learning Center. Then Google "raising chickens" and try to read as much as you can. There's a lot to know!
smile.png
Have fun!

Welcome to BYC and congrats on the baby chicks.

The chicks need to stay warm until they have mature feathering. The temp should be about 95 degrees for the first week of life and decreasing by 5 degrees each week until the temps are in the 70's. By 8 - 10 weeks they are feathered out and can control their body temps and keep warm in these cool spring nights.

Keep the chicks warm with the light. If they get chilled they can get sick and then die very quickly. I keep mine in a large plastic tote a week or two and as they grow move them to a larger area with the light for heat with plenty of room to run around, clean water and chick starter crumbles (feed).

Watch them for signs of overheating and chilling. If they huddle under the light they are cold. If the spread out and hug the sides of the container they are too warm. If they spread out and play and sleep all over the place they are just fine.

Good luck with your new chicks.

thanks for that everyone, it's just starting to get cold here in Aussie land, it is a long weekend here and the school asked for a volunteer for the weekend and of course we won. It would break many hearts if there were none to take back on Monday. Enjoy!!!!
jumpy.gif
:jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom