1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Nov 6, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    This is my first time to own chickens. I have a hen that hatched 6 out of 11 eggs. We built a run that is about 3ft wide and 7ft long and placed a small pet taxi with hay in there for her and the chicks. They all seem content. My question is how cold outside before I need to get concerned. Will the hen keep them warm without having to use some kind of heat source?
    Also is there anyway to tell the sex when they are small?

Really need advice !!

[​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I am unsure about mother hens raising babies...but I think she is way better than a heat lamp...at what temps she may need assistance in keeping the little ones warm though is info that I do not know...adorable picture though! Do you know the breeds?

As for sexing them, that can also be dependant on the breeds...vent sexing from what I understand, is an art form that takes pretty extensive training, so you may have to play the wait and see game...we love helping people figure out sex and breed though! Any excuse to see more pictures!

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    NO heat!! she knows what to do. Watch her and if the hen comes of the kids. 85* degrees week 1 80 degrees week 2 75* degrees week 3 and 5* per week until fully feathered. It will be OK. U will see

4. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Our hen is a Buff and the rooster is a RI red. Our chickens are range chickens. They stay in trees at night. The hen layed and started sitting. After she hatched them we caught them at night and put them in a pen by the house. I'm first time chicken owner. Hope these will raise up and be tame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by