Baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ilovemacy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Ilovemacy

Ilovemacy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    We have 2 baby chicks 6 weeks old and 3 12 week old big chickens. The big ones go right into their coop to roost at night. The baby chicks are scared and come flying out when I put them in the coop. We even made a seperate roosting place for the babies but they will not go in? Help

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    I think the smaller ones are just too small to be around the bigger girls at this point and are being ran out of the coop. Best wait until the smaller ones get some weight and height before being reintroduced.

3. hen101

hen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2012
    Washington,Pa
    keep thwm seperated and keep the chicks some else tht is wat we do and they are find

4. hen101

hen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2012
    Washington,Pa
    small and big to not mix keep the sperate

5. seramachick8

seramachick8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    North Texas
    The babies probably feel intimidated by the larger ones...I wouldn't worry unless the younger ones are being picked on by the older ones...you can get a plastic bin and cut out a square on one of the sides and put it upside down and sometimes they will sleep in that...we have younger ones that do and some sleep in a little plastic dog house

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm sure the bigger ones are chasing the new arrivals out. That's how a chicken reacts to an intruder -- they don't roll out the welcome mat.

If the younger chicks aren't being injured by the pecking order process, a hiding place they can access while they all get to know each other isn't a bad idea but you'd still need to watch closely to know if they are able to eat/drink or if they are being chased away from food and water as well.

7. Ilovemacy

Sep 3, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    I thought our Rooster was attacking our Hens today, but now know they are mating? ( I am a city girl!) anyway, the rooster pinned the hen down, looked like he was attacking her head. I ran out of the house to stop him from hurting her but then realized what was happening! When should I expect eggs? Hens are 6/12 mo old. Have had no eggs so far.

8. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    A Rooster will mate anything old enuf to do so whether or not she can lay. I had one of my hens that the Roosters would not leave alone, of age but in molt. I put her in a small pen where the boys could come visit but not touch. After some time went by, and me watching like a hawk, she went over to the fence and offered to my Red Ameraucana Roo, he was quite upset that he could not get to her. I sat her out of the yard and they mated, then placed her back into the area, she laid a pretty green egg the next day! She has rejoined the flock and even in this cold weather 4-6 eggs a week.

My pullets are due to start laying next month, but I found a leather egg in the coop floor last month. None of them look ready, their combs are not bright red just yet. My laying hens combs almost glow,, anything can through them off, like cold weather. Do you have a light in the coop to give them 14 hour light each day? if not this will help.

9. Ilovemacy

Sep 3, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thank you for the info. We finally got eggs today. I opened the coop and there were two beautiful eggs!

10. Ilovemacy

Sep 3, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    How do I know if the eggs I get out of the coop are still good? I read something about putting them in water but can't remember
    If thet should sink or float to still be good???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by