Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by babybetty, Dec 4, 2012.

1. babybetty

babybetty New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    I have a silkie who just hatched a chick and is laying on 4 more eggs. She is in a chicken coop, should I move her, the eggs and baby into the house or garage to control temperature or will she be ok left in the coop. The evening temp is 40 but can dip into the twenties. Just worried since they hatched this time of the year.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If your silkie is able to regulate her body temp then the chicks will be OK since they will be under her. I have had silkies get cold in bad weather so it all depends on whether she is OK normally. Just treat her normally as you would.

The danger is if she isn't a good mama and doesn't keep them under her. I have heard about that...but then you would overheat the mama if you put up lights. I like to keep it simple and natural.

Make sure the chicks don't eat layer feed- give them chick starter - and make sure mama has water and food within reach so she doesn't have to get off the nest to eat and drink- so she can just reach her neck out and reach the food and water. She will teach her chick to eat and drink while setting on the other eggs.

Sometimes I put out a cardboard box to make things easier on them with a cutout so that she will be on the floor if my nestboxes are too high at the time.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. babybetty

babybetty New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks...I have put her in a rabbit cage in the coop, so the baby does not fall out of the nesting box. She appears to be a good mama, I will take your advice and and place a cardboard box in the cage to give her additional shelter.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh you are all set!
    Definitely if you think your silkie is too cold though put her in a warmer spot. I always noticed my silkies seemed to suffer more with the cold weather than my Orpingtons and other large fowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by