Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FinaticHen, Jan 26, 2013.

1. FinaticHen

FinaticHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    Hey Eveybody! I am getting two plymouth rock 5 week old baby chicks. It is my first time raising chicks and I already have some leghorn adults. What are some helpful tips for first time chick raisers? When should I introduce the chicks to the older gals? What do chicks eat? I have done some research but would appreciate word from people with first hand experience. I live on the Gold Coast, Queensland and right now the weather is warm but its been cold because of the rain, will the chicks require a heat lamp because of the cool rainy weather? Of will they be fine without one? I appreciate any and all responses! Thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on your chicks! At 5 weeks they should be nearly fully feathered, so they won't need extra heat so much anymore, except when it's cold. They'll huddle together if they're cold and run around happily when they are comfortable.
    Baby chicks eat chick starter, but you can give these guys grower feed too.
    Introducing them to the adults would be easier when they are more or less the same size. You can keep them near the adults when they are ready to move permanently, maybe in a separate area in your coop/run, so they can see each other and get used to each other before being able to et to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by