Baby chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Warm Feathers, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Warm Feathers

Warm Feathers Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is my first batch of incubated eggs and the first baby is trying to come out tonight. It started cracking out about an hour ago and we are watching it closely.
    I read that the temperature of the "after" hatched chick needs to be at 95 degrees, but I am unsure about the humidity levels after getting out. Do they need humidity after hatching? How much if so?
    Thank you for any and all helpful hints for this process.

2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I usually take mine out of the high humidity hatcher and move them into another dry incubator to fluff up. It is set on 99. They stay there for about 24 hours then go into the brooder.

3. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    You can leave the new chicks in their incubator for up to 48 hours without any worries. Everything I've read says not to put them in the brooder until they're dry and fluffy, and to leave them in the incubator for at least 4 hours after hatching (unless you do what thasista does). I left all mine in for about 10 hours each before moving them to the brooder. I honestly think my hatched chicks helped the chicks that were close to hatching get a move on and come out to say hi a little quicker, lol.

Good luck on your new babies. Can't wait for pictures. :)

4. Warm Feathers

Warm Feathers Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG]
    Our latest two babies...my daughter and I LOVE our chicks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by