baby chicks

jodyb

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 12, 2012
Deep Gap, North Carolina
I have never had baby chicks before. I have 19 of a large variety. Just gave them some of my chicken soup. At first they were not interested but when a few brave chicks got a load of the chicken in the soup they all caught on quickly and went bananas!

My question is: can you feed 3 week old chicks suit? It seems to have a lot of fat in it. My babies are growing so fast. I can't believe how big their feet are!

I don't give my chicks any treats until they are 6 or so weeks old. You can, but I just don't. Make sure they have some access to grit to break down the treats in their crop. Also, don't give them too much as soup is high in sodium.

You mean suet? I would go very light on that. The high fat content will give them diarrhea as well as stinky droppings. Are you feeding chick feed for their main diet? Oh, and you probably know this but grit is needed for suet products with seeds in them.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. My soup is homemade from all organic, non GMO chicken and veggies. But thank you for your sharing.

Jody
Same here, my little ones go nuts over home made soup. I just give them the veggies, mashed up, with a few pieces of starter thrown on top. Soup is low fat without added sodium. And they do get grit. I only give them a taste at this point as I don't want to overload their system.

Back
Top Bottom