Baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 123OSU, Mar 17, 2013.

1. 123OSU

123OSU Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    If your hens have chicks can you leave them in the same coop as the other chickens? [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I think that it really depends on the personality of the other flock members. Mine are fine with new chicks. I had a broody raise her chicks within the flock last year with no problem (totally free range, too), and I have a silkie that did the same. It helps that, even though my roo was young, he was very protective of the chicks. Also, my silkie hen is number two in the pecking order, and my other broody was number four. Still, there is always the chance of violence with new chicks. If you'd like to keep the hen and her chicks with the flock, perhaps get some pinless peepers for more aggressive hens? Or, if you feel more comfortable separating her, build her and the babies a small, predator proof area that they can live in till the chicks get a bit bigger. Make sure the other birds can see mama and her chicks though - you don't want them to 'forget' her and have to try to reintroduce her and her chicks to the flock when the time comes. Also, moving a broody on eggs can be risky - she may refuse to sit on the eggs in the new location. Maybe if you'd like to move her, block her in wherever she is now, and allow her to get off the nest to eat and drink once a day, until the babies hatch and then move her and her brood to the other area. It's really all dependent on what you yourself feel most comfortable with, and if you think you can trust your other birds around chicks. They may go after them, or they may not. I haven't had a problem yet, except for a peck here and there when the older birds say, "I'm dominant over you." Mom will also be fiercely protective of her babies - my broody went after any bird that so much as looked at her chicks at first. They all gave her and her babies a wide berth. Even my big male ducks.

3. 123OSU

123OSU Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    0k..thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by