1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by animalsrule1, Oct 30, 2013.

1. animalsrule1

animalsrule1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Hi there. We just got 11 bantam chicks, one of our hens went broody, and everything has been fine... Until, just yesterday. The chicks have started to squish each other. We are down to 9 already. Is this normal? They definitely have enough space, I just moved them to a larger brooder. This happen once before but only with one chick. Please help.

2. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you,sure the chicks are squashing each other, it could be the mother, what breed is she and what breed are the chicks

3. Nickeyo

And how old are the chicks

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    sounds like they got cold, or it was the momma doing the stepping.

5. animalsrule1

animalsrule1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    We don't actually know what breed. They are mixes. But it doesn't look like they are cold.... They are just getting squished! And they are dying VERY quickly. Hpw do we help them?!

6. Nickeyo

Take some of them from the mother and brooder raise them, maybe there are just too many for her

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    some times a chick dies, and then the other chicks trample. but it might not have been trampled to death- if you have a bunch of chicks and one tries to sleep I have seen it get stepped on.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you brood the chicks yourself to keep this from happening? Make a brooder inside with a safe heat lamp. Be careful with the heat lamp if not placed carefully it can cause fire. But I would take the rest inside to pervent the mom from trampling them. Hope this helps and good luck

9. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have learned to wait a couple of days before giving them to a mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by