Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chyatt24, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Chyatt24

Chyatt24 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    We've just ordered 3 baby chicks : 1 buff orpington, 1 light brahma, and 1 silver laced wyandotte. Because we're getting them mid to late summer, at what age should they go outside into the coop? We are located in Maine so it gets very cold. Our chicks should arrive on August 8th.

2. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    I put mine out at 4 months with a lamp on over night being in the uk it gets cold and weather is a bit unpredictable they didnt enjoy their first thunder storm one bit! but with the lamp on over night they stayed warm then when it warmed up a bit i turned it off, a year and a half later and they are still going strong :)

3. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    Thank you! Can they stay inside until four months of age?

4. hxgumdrop

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    Yeah I kept my first three in for their first 4months then put them outside into their coop, which I found heart breaking! lol im so sad and maybe a little too attached to them!

5. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    One other question: what are some things that can be done to prevent pasty butt?

6. hxgumdrop

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    The only thing iv done is check their bottoms regularly and just clean away any poop that has gotten stuck to the feathers and keeping the roost area clean of droppings. If they have anything stuck around their bottoms I use baby wipes to get it off (when they was really little i would bath them) if its really stuck a bit of Vaseline can help loosen it

7. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I read, somewhere, in the learning center that putting (I think it was...) three to four tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in a gallon of drinking water can help the 'pasties'. Don't quote me on the amount though. If I can remember where I read it I will send it to you.
    Hope I got that right and that it helps....

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  8. hxgumdrop

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    I think you are right, Mine have 5ml in a ltr of water once a week, all week if they are poorly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by