Baby chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joshisamazing, Mar 19, 2015.

1. joshisamazing

joshisamazing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2015
    Tulsa OK
    As some of you know I have three chickens. Two pullets and one White straight run. I have a black pullet and a brown pullet. I've noticed they don't really like to be held or petted. the only one that really enjoys being held of petted is the black pullet the white straight run which I'm sure is a rooster does not like being petted at all. He always runs for me :c and I just wanna be friends with him. Has this happened to any of you guys?? Do they change when the get a little older? cause my friend had an 8 month old hen and she loved being held and petted. so I'm just kinda confused here. Any help will be very appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Chickens vary in temperament just as humans do. And some of them like to be just chickens. Some breeds can be better than others. Typically the bantam breeds are more personable in particular Cochins. Buckeyes are extremely friendly as well. So are Favorelles.

Positive handling can help with any chick, ie give treats whenever you intend to handle them. That will condition them that your presence means happy things. Never chase after the bird to pick it up. Instead, put the treat at the bottom of your palm and let the bird run into your palm to eat the treat. Do not attempt to pet or hold the bird at first; just let the bird eat the treat. Be patient, and calm, and soon they will run to you when they see you and will lose fear of your hands. Many in time will allow you to pet and hold them this way. Keep these sessions brief so that the bird is never made anxious.

Be careful not to treat too much as growing chicks need to fill up on their chick feed not snacks, just like any growing youngster.

Good treats can be chopped boiled eggs or a little chicken scratch that is small in size (millet is a special favorite of my flock).

Give them time to warm up to you knowing that not all chickens will want to be lap pets, but you can enjoy their eager little beaks running to great you, and they can become tame enough to handle when needed.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. joshisamazing

Mar 14, 2015
    Tulsa OK
    Thank you for the information I really Appreciate it! is it bad to let them listen music at this age? I played some music and they don't seem to like it that much? I want my chickens to listen rap. but idk of they like it or not? Maybe I should wait till they get older?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2 on this advice.

5. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Most animals don't like loud noises, so no, I doubt they will enjoy loud rock or rap as that kind of music typically has very heavy bass where you feel the rumble...that will likely just upset birds.

Try Mozart or Enya played softly in background. That settles most things including toddlers.

LofMc

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  6. joshisamazing

Mar 14, 2015
    Tulsa OK
    Mmm yeah you have a point. I'll just have to test thing out? see what kind of music they like and just observe there attitude every time I play a different type of music. I think I'll wait till there a little older tho. I think since there still young and stuff they might be a little shy and new to things. my friend had a black rooster and he put subs in his coop and played rap music all the time. The rooster seemed to like it but then hens didn't?? Kinda strange to me lol?

7. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yeah, that I wouldn't recommend...that is not thinking kind animal care. Remember animals are not toys but living creatures. If you treat them well, they will be healthier and happier, but you have to understand their world. Animals, and chickens in particular, are not interested in loud noises, it unsettles them and can cause stress behaviors such as feather picking, poor egg laying, poor eating habits and general unrest which will typically run the health down of the animals.

If you want happy healthy hens, who are alert, calm and interested in being with you, you have to keep their world a place they enjoy.

My 2 cents
    LofMc

8. joshisamazing

Mar 14, 2015
    Tulsa OK
    Okay I will make sure and do that! That's for the information really helps a lot!! is it okay if I go walking around with my chicken. I love my chickens and I would like to take one of them with me in a waking trip in my arms and let them down and explor? Is this okay?

9. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, as long as you've spent time first to get them comfortable with you...you have to see it from their perspective. Until they see you as friend and comfort you are just this big monster that grabs them up and kidnaps them, then puts them in this really scary new place. You have to build trust with them...then they will be happy with you, and not fearful when you take them to a new place as they will see you as their protector.But you must keep that trust by always seeing it from their viewpoint and never asking them to do something that would really stress them.

Animals are naturally scared of anything that is big, loud, or new as it kicks in their survival instincts to run, hide, or defend...the flight or fight. That's how they survive, especially smaller, lower on the food chain creatures like chickens. You have to get to where they see you as the flock protector rather than potential threat so that wherever you are, they feel safe.

Some chickens are quite clever and can learn a lot of cute tricks and be very companionable. Some are simply not that type of bird. Just as people are different.

Have fun getting to know your little chickens, building their trust, and in time, they will FOLLOW you everywhere, and with some hand taming, will likely be content to be carried, if they feel a treat is in it for them. But love your bird by recognizing its distress signs...if it is not enjoying it, and you really don't need to do it for their health or safety, then do not stress your animal. Let them be chickens if that is what they want to be rather than lap pets.If none of these are content to be a lap chicken, then purchase one of the breeds I mentioned that is especially hand tamable as they will enjoy being petted...not all chicken breeds do as some are still always more in the "wild" state.

LofMc

10. joshisamazing

Mar 14, 2015
    Tulsa OK
    OHHH okay yeah sounds good! I've been trying to get to know my chickens. And I spend a lot of time with them everyday! how do you know they like you or are comfortable around you? My little black chicken always jumps in my hand everytime I put my hand Into the box! but the other two don't get near me. :c I don't wanna scare them. I want them to know it's okay and I'm a friend. my brown one gets kinda close and my white chicken always stay away from me. But he's a rooster I'm pretty sure? I always give them fresh water everyday and food when they need it. I really don't want my chickens to hate me. I'm only 18 and I like them a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by