baby chics can't stand up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MikelJohn, Feb 12, 2008.

1. MikelJohn

MikelJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    I have baby chics that are about 5 days old. Today I found one who couldn't stand up and it looks like there is another one that is having trouble getting up. I have a feeder with starter ration inside the big box. I have automatic water. I have a burlap floor. And I have a little heat at night. They are inside the house so the temperature is not too cold. They look healthy other than the fact they can't stand up. Please help me!

2. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    What is your temp inside the box?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, you need more than a little heat at night. They need 95 degrees 24/7 for the first week, then heat at decreasing values by 5 degrees per week till they fully feather out, unless I've misunderstood you. When chicks are too cold they drop to the floor and don't walk around. Were they shipped to you?

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    are you sure they are not cold? they are suppose to have heat all the time. temp should be 95 on one end of the brooder and cooler on he other end so they can get away from the heat.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  5. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    Oh good ! Speckledhen is here!!!

[​IMG]

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Well i guess everyone is thinking the same thing [​IMG]

7. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing [​IMG]
    You see her name and just breath a sigh of relief!!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Y'all stop it! [​IMG] Dont listen to these guys, LOL! Seriously, those chicks need a heatlamp on them 24 hours a day for several weeks, not just a little heat at night. If they are stressed at this age, and being chilled for a period of time is a stressor, they may not make it anyway, even if you remedy the situation. I hope we haven't misunderstood your post.

9. MikelJohn

MikelJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    Thanks so much for the help. I know now that heat is the problem. I feel so stupid. If I loose too many, I will just order more and keep the light on. Do you think the one chic will stand up again if it warms up?

10. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I would also try a drop of Poly vi sol. It is a liquid infant vitamin drop you can get at any drug store. Just one drop three times a day. Hopefully they will be right as rain!! Good Luck Suz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by