Baby Cochins

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CMlay, Jun 25, 2011.

1. CMlay

CMlay New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    My two week old Silver Laced Cochins are getting fenders LOL [​IMG] Some (not all) are growing pretty feathers on the back side of their knees or maybe the term is hawks. Could these be roosters? These feathers look just like fenders on a 1950 Hudson. If so I sure have a lot of roosters I'd say 15 out of 23 leaves only 8 hens ? Guess U could say, I'm trying to count my hens before they feather. Anyone want a Rooster or two or three? LOL.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    All of my cochins got the fenders (love it!). I've been trying to sex my cochins by their combs and wattles. My babies are 10 weeks old now and I think I might have 2 cockerals. Here is a pick of one of my suspects at 5 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    And here he is again at 7 weeks, with even redder and larger wattles
    [​IMG]
    And one more, here he is with my suspected pullets who have pink/small combs and wattles. He's the one with his butt facing the camera.
    [​IMG]
    This is my first time raising cochins, so I'm no expert. Maybe you could post some pictures of your chicks and get everyones opinion on them. Hope this helps!

3. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    im new to this and im getting silkies go figure but i think you might have a roo .

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My cochin pullet has huge fenders also!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by