Baby cottontails in my coop

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mdibaugh, May 17, 2010.

1. mdibaugh

mdibaugh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eaton rapids, Mi
    My baby chicks are shipping on the 24th of May and my coop is almost done. This is my first attempt at raising chickens. Yesterday i moved my coop to mow under the back side of it. We made a pass with the John Deere rider and low and behold a nest of baby cottontails. Out of four this is the only one that made it. Its eyes are open and the neighbors are attempting to save it. Did some research and it seems this will be a tough task. However it is eating kittens milk out of a syringe. Only time will tell. Figured it was worth posting here. I have never uploaded pics so i hope it works.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. mdibaugh

mdibaugh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eaton rapids, Mi
    [​IMG] Oops wanted to send the pic of the bunny. Here you go.

3. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Awww, good luck! Never had success when we'd find them back in the midwest. This one seems older though.

4. DelhiRose

DelhiRose Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Something similar happened to us recently...I contacted a wildlife rescue, and was advised that we should put the bunny back in the nest because mama has a strong mothering instinct and will come back, despite the human scent. Also, once their ears are up and eyes are open they're pretty close to being independent anyway. I did just what she said, and they did fine. Until they became a late night snack for some bigger critter.
    Aren't baby bunnies just the sweetest, softest little things, thoug?

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    It can be done! I did it! My dogs dug up a nest in my garden, two were left after the massacre. I raised those babies to the size not much bigger than yours and released them back to the wild. The thing to do is not to acclimate them to humans. You want the least amount of human interraction as possible. Feed them and leave them alone to be wild as that's what they are. If you try to keep one as a pet, it WILL eventually die.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes. I cried like a big old baby when I released them. I think though that the tears came from the success of raising them best I could and letting them back to the wild. It's hard not to get attached. Sooooo hard....but the success of getting them grown enough to release is a major accomplishment and it feels just so right.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I just went through this...
    We had 7 babies on our rock wall..
    i didnt want to..but i left them be... because i know they wouldnt survive if i messed with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by