Baby Coturnix quail with kinked neck

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jozieb, Sep 6, 2016.

1. jozieb

jozieb Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    So I have harched quails for the first time with my kids. 5 out of 13 hatched. 4 were fine and one was shrinked wrapped in the egg so when I helped it out after reading how to the one foot was bent under. I made it a little band aid splint and 2 days later it was good as new. Now the same one has its neck cocked to one side. It is eating or drinking ok but Im worried. It can still walk around but just the head is turned a little to the left like it is stiff. What should I do? ( and don't say to kill it).

2. jojackc

jojackc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    It has wry. I have a chick now with the same problem and is under treatment. Take one litter of water and add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar plus .5 cc's of "ENFAMIL'S Poly-Vi-Sol without iron" it can be hard to find since it is the only one that wasn't removed from a recall that just happen. My wife is a nurse and was able to get me some from her hospital. I would just look from store to store until you can find it. I was also told to make sure they get some fresh air outside. My bird isn't 100% yet but it's much better. She can eat and drink so at the end of the day thats all that matters. I hope she gets her neck straightened all the way out but its only a week of treatment and from what I understand it can take a few weeks.

3. jozieb

jozieb Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Thank you so much. I read about wry and that it might be from a vitamin E or selenium deficiency? Does the Enfamil have that in it and thats why it helps? Should I separate it from the other 4 chicks? Thanx!! :)

4. jojackc

Aug 18, 2016
    I'v been told it was everything from B12, E, and selenium. Not sure what it really is. I tried a few different treatments before doing this one and this is the one I can see some results with. I am sad to say I think trying some of the other things might have limited how well this chick will be. I finally got this cure from the breeder I purchased the quail from. Dummy me should have though first to ask her before looking online for home cures. Here is what is in it if you want to take a look:

[​IMG]

5. jojackc

Aug 18, 2016
    I gave it to all the quail. I did not remove the effected quail since they where not picking on it. IF they where giving it a hard time I would have removed it. But since they where getting along it is better that they grow up together as a Cuvey. The breeder said that this doesn't always work, but if they are eating and drinking its a good thing. My quail started showing signs after one week. I didn't get mine on this treatment until it was two weeks old. They are almost three weeks old now and I can see a difference.

6. jozieb

jozieb Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Thank you!!! Getting some tomorrow. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by