Baby Crib Hutch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rnorris1234, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    I have a chicken hutch built for my pair of bantam silver spangled hamburgs. There was an old baby bed in the basement left by the previous owners. I decided that I could convert it into a hutch. I used left over lumber and left over chicken wire. (I know everyone hates chicken wire, but these chickens are in a fenced-in back yard in town, so the wire is to keep the chickens in, not too worried about keeping preditors out.) I used the sides of the bed as part of a door and roost for another coop I built, but they would have worked as part of this hutch as well,
    The drop side baby beds have all been recalled and are unsafe for infants, so I thought that making a coop would be a great way to recycle an unusable and dangerous piece of furniture.
    I raised the crib ends by about 2 feet with 2x4s, then painted it with left over paint (I didn't want it to really look like a crib).
    Daycare centers and churches, etc. might be needing to replace these recalled cribs and might give them away or sell them cheap.
    This hutch cost me $0. I even got a broken tricylce that was left on the curb for trash to take the back wheels and make the hutch into a tractor.

[​IMG]

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Clever!

3. truckerswife

truckerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    WOW! Very nice and a great way to recycle!

4. Charlie'sBirds

Charlie'sBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Montgomery County, PA
    Very, very cool!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by