Baby crying during first night out...

BrideofChicky

Hatching
Apr 5, 2022
I have set all five of my chickens (10 and 11 weeks old) for their first night outside. They had three days of practice and were doing and behaving perfectly, and with force from my parents we've decided to let them sleep outside for the first time. Their coop is plenty big and three of them even found it as an ideal resting place without my help.

My 10 week old Wyandotte is crying, letting out shrill little chirps and acting restlessly. The other four are doing great, including the other 10 week old.

Should I bring just the Wyandotte back inside for the night and try again later? Do I bring two of them inside, all of them? Should I just let her cry it out and figure out that she'll be okay? (Only thing about that is we have raccoons, all precautions are taken and it's nearly impossible for a break-in. I'm still nervous. Help!

A nightlight for a couple nights might ease their fears. I mean... I used to be afraid of the boogey-man, and a night light worked for me...
LOL I was going to ask if they previously had a heat lamp. Being in the dark after living with a light source all the time is a scary thing. And if the group has separated a bit, she may be separated from a particular individual she's usually close to. But at this point the only thing to do is let them adjust. If they have food, water and room to move around, they'll be just fine.

Chickens often don't like change. They can be very uncomfortable with change. The first time in the dark or in a new place. But they are also adaptable. They will shortly get over it and get on with life. It may sound like tough love to you but that chick should soon get over it. As long as it can find food, water, and the others I'd leave it out.

Back
Top Bottom