baby doves lost there mum today help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tom32s, Feb 27, 2015.

1. tom32s

tom32s Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    Hi all
    we have a dove house and had 5 doves. One girl had 2 babies hatch last night and we saw them for the first time. Unfortunately mum got attacked today and has died :( Dad appears to have gone with the babies in the dove cote.
    Will the dad be able to look after them on his own?? or do we need to take them out and bring them up? if so how?
    Quite sad how its worked out :( Please someone help

sorry if this is in the wrong topic

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have had incidents where the male has taken over all of the brooding and feeding after losing a mate. I have also had cases where the male gives up on caring for the young after the loss of his mate. How old are the young, and has the pair raised other sets of squabs? Older squabs and an experienced father increases the chances that they will survive.

1 person likes this.
  3. tom32s

Feb 20, 2015
    The doves are all quite young only about 8 months old (father) and the babies are less than a day old!!!
    Should i let nature take its cause or step in if needed?? can the father bring them up on his own? can he provide the same nutrients that the mother could?

4. tom32s

Feb 20, 2015
    also this was there first set of babies

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's a question of 'will he' not 'can he'. Initially both the father and mother feed the squabs - 'pigeon milk' created in their crops. After several days both parents continue feeding a mix which contains more and more grains. When the mother sets on the next round of eggs, the father takes over all the feeding. It is normal for the mother to brood the young at night, but some widowed males will take over this job. Do an on site search on 'orphan pigeons'. Several threads will appear.

1 person likes this.
  6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Secure the dove house as the predator will most likely return. I stopped flying my breeding birds because of situations like what you are now facing. A fancier once told me, "Never fly birds that you can not afford to lose." Makes sense. Does the father appear to be sitting on and brooding the babies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by