baby duck accepted

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shannondee12, Nov 1, 2013.

1. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I have 2 separate flocks of ducks. a group of 3 consisting of a crested blue swede, khaki campbell/cayuga cross and another of unkown origin. These 3 are almost 3 months old. The other group consist of just 2 full cayuga that are only 3 weeks old. They seemed to not care about the little ones. ignoring them for the most part. Until today.

Yesterday, I lost one of the 3 week old siblings thanks to a nasty roo. The remaining baby seemed to be traumatized by this event and extremely lonely. She immediatly attached herself to my daughter. Today, while daughter was at school, I tried to merge the little into the group of 3. She was alone in the run, looking rather sad. I was almost going to pick her up when Buttercup (duck of unknown origin) came up out of the creek and walked into the run to her (door is kept open). It almost looked like something out of a movie. The older duck started to peep at her more quietly that usual. Peepers (baby duck) got up and walked over to buttercup. They seemed to be in an actual conversation. One would peep and the other would answer. They would touch heads and bills and the little one laid her head on buttercup. The conversation seemed to go on for at least 3-4 minutes before Buttercup turned and walked out of the run. She was immediately followed by peepers. I was so excited, I started clapping and my hubby asked what in the world was I clappign for. For the rest of the day, they had peepers in their group foraging down by the creek showing her how to dig around in the mud. Evening time and they brought peepers up to the run and all laid down in a pile. The end. lol

2. JoyAnna

JoyAnna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Maple Falls, Washington
    [​IMG]What a sweet, wonderful story!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2 brought tears to my eyes, thanks for sharing. and sorry for your loss.

4. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    It was even more tear jerking this morning. I had kept the mean roo separate last night because I knew I wouldn't be able to supervise. I let everyone out to free range this morning and as soon as I let the roo out, he went straight for peepers but this moring, Donald(my drake) took after him as soon as he got close. He chased that roo all the way down the field and he has never ever went after any chickens before. I laughed so hard. When I turned around from watching the chase, buttercup (the other older duck) was pulling up worms and giving them to peepers. I didn't know ducks would do that. The rest of today anytime I checked on them the 3 older ducks were walking as one in a circle with peepers in the middle. I presume protecting her from the roo. The roo is only 12 weeks old so if he makes it another month, he will be in the freezer.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is awesome I have never heard of ducks acting so protective. and 12 weeks would make a nice meal too. [​IMG] Never had a roo go after any of my ducklings maybe because they are always with their mama.

6. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thought I would share some pics. The first is peepers first night without her sibling. she was content snuggled up with my daughter. The second is with the other ducks today. You can tell that the drake is staying between peepers and the mean roo while he naps.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What sweet pics, looks just like the drake is Peepers body guard. good for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by