Baby duck burnt feet, how to treat?

Cristalh22

Hatching
Jun 2, 2020
Hello! My baby duck, unfortunately burnt his feet with the heat lamp. I cleaned his feet. They now have some fluid filled blisters. What steps do I need to take to assure proper healing and avoid infection?

Thank you for the help!

How could he burn his feet on a properly hanging heat lamp?
Cold water, burn ointments, idk. Don’t let him eat anything you put on it.

Most vets are open, but they do not allow people inside. You call ahead and arrange to have you pet picked up at the car. Can you call around? Pictures would be helpful. Is any other body part burned? Silvadene creme is best for treating burns. Call your vet office to see if you could at least get some of that. Heat lamps must be at least 18 inches away from chicks and ducks, and the wattage of the lamp makes a big difference. For example, the red 250 watt bulbs can be way too hot unless the temperature is very low. Sorry about your duckling.

Most vets are open, but they do not allow people inside. You call ahead and arrange to have you pet picked up at the car. Can you call around? Pictures would be helpful. Is any other body part burned? Silvadene creme is best for treating burns. Call your vet office to see if you could at least get some of that. Heat lamps must be at least 18 inches away from chicks and ducks, and the wattage of the lamp makes a big difference. For example, the red 250 watt bulbs can be way too hot unless the temperature is very low. Sorry about your duckling.

Attachments

• 2B7FBFE4-FBA0-47E0-8A75-40DEB81CEA8B.jpeg
    2B7FBFE4-FBA0-47E0-8A75-40DEB81CEA8B.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 25
I did speak to the vet and they also told me Silvadene cream. Thank you very much for the info, I was overwhelmed with so many options and was really trying to figure out what was best so thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom