baby duck dead,!?! not by the usual predator,!?!?!?(pics)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cat1994, Sep 25, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    my baby duck is dead [​IMG] today with its mom sitting by it looking all sad [​IMG] . its head was stuck through the wire and something pulled it and wouldnt let go, guess who was on the other side of the wire MY MALE DUCK [​IMG] ?!?! [​IMG] he killed his own baby [​IMG] is this normal for male ducks to kill their own babys [​IMG]

this is the male and my female
    [​IMG]

here she is with the baby that he killed
    [​IMG]

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I don't know much about ducks, but I'm very sorry that it happened. [​IMG]

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have heard of males killing their babies but could it have been a raccoon? It sounds like something a coon would do. So sorry for your loss.

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never had my males kill the babies. Ocasionally they will go and mess up the nest of eggs cause they want to mate and the female wont get off...but they usually just ignore the babies. Unless you saw him actually killing it I wouldnt condemn him. Terri O

5. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    I have never had a male duck kill it's babies, or even attack one. Maybe baby got it's head stuck in the wire. Had that happen to a baby goose once and found it dead.

Only thing I know that bites/eats heads of poultry are RACOONS! I HATE racoons! One just killed my mamma duck yesterday morning. [​IMG]

6. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    ive heard of a male duck killing male babys its possible i guess

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I've never seen a male purposely kill a duckling, but sometimes ducklings can get hurt when the males chase around the females, which I don't think happened in your case.

If the male did it, in this case, I don't think it was on purpose. Perhaps he was on the other side of the fence wondering what happened to the baby. Or, maybe the baby was trying to get through the fence and he was trying to free it, but didn't know what he was doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by