Baby duck didn’t absorb yolk

Mysticalsys

Chirping
Sep 1, 2017
I had a duck hatch out this morning all on its own but it didn’t absorb the yolk all the way. Has anyone had this happen before?

Attachments

• 6650FE44-F019-480C-9714-448A8480137C.jpeg
    6650FE44-F019-480C-9714-448A8480137C.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 67
Sorry but can you get a better picture can’t really tell? I’m no expert but As long as you give it some water and food it should be okay

If you haven't already put the little one in a cup, doing so can help facilitate absorption of remaining yolk and prevent accidental damage to it by keeping the duckling stationary - this thread may be helpful. With time and rest, I find that any remaining yolk or incompletely closed navels will resolve, but I also put a dab of Neosporin (without pain reliever) on the navel to ward off infection.

Best wishes for your duckling!

E8EAB9C9-31AC-473D-9ABD-EC966B9EDC2D.jpeg
E6B9EDCC-C163-4F0C-B3D6-C2CCF780DB54.jpeg
My first hatch this happened as well. I would put them in a small bowl or container and lined it with moist paper towels and place the duckling on it and put him back in the incubator until it’s absorbed. It does help them absorb the yolk sac. Also helps to keep bacteria and other things off of it while they are trying to absorb it. And if the duckling is moving around with it then I would keep him in the incubator till it absorbs just to prevent the sac from being ruptured. It also depends on how strong the duckling is. I had one die a hour after hatching because his yolk sac was still attached and he wasn’t strong enough. My second one was strong enough and absorbed it and now is doing great. Best of luck to you and the duckling! Hope this helps or helps with future hatches!

View attachment 1789024 View attachment 1789025 My first hatch this happened as well. I would put them in a small bowl or container and lined it with moist paper towels and place the duckling on it and put him back in the incubator until it’s absorbed. It does help them absorb the yolk sac. Also helps to keep bacteria and other things off of it while they are trying to absorb it. And if the duckling is moving around with it then I would keep him in the incubator till it absorbs just to prevent the sac from being ruptured. It also depends on how strong the duckling is. I had one die a hour after hatching because his yolk sac was still attached and he wasn’t strong enough. My second one was strong enough and absorbed it and now is doing great. Best of luck to you and the duckling! Hope this helps or helps with future hatches!
It didn’t make it but thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom