baby duck eye???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maple, May 12, 2010.

1. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Got a call from my dd's school regarding one of the 2nd graders duck hatchlings.

First it needed a boot.

Second there's a film over one eye...but after a while it will slide to the side and you see the regular black eye under it. This film looks wrinkley and dehydrated. Is this normal? Is it part of the birthding material? Do ducks have an extra layer of film like sharks do to protect it when it goes under water?

Any advice I can give to the teacher on what it is and what she can do?

She says it's eating and drinking ok.

thanks!
    g

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

They do have two eye lids. The outer top and bottom, and the inner going sideways. Not sure about the shark thing.
    Katharina

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That may clear up on its own. I had a duckling hatch like that. There were humidity problems in the incubator. You can take a swab and soak it with saline solution and gently dab the eye. It might help it clear up faster.

4. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    yes.... it did seem to be a sideways eye lid.

Thanks for the tip... I will let the second grade teacher know.

and I'm glad I came across this so if anything like that should happen with me then I will know how to help. Thanks a bunch.

I have 4 duck eggs in my bator set to hatch around the 18th.

I have a handful of copper marans and ee's from 2 byc'rs hatching right now and two of my own mutts....hard to say but my money is on a delware hen and an ee roo mix....the babies are yellow and black/brown mix. Lots of fun!

gretch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by