Baby Duck Feet!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ovidia17, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Ovidia17

Ovidia17 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    North Carolina
    I am new to the whole ducks as pets thing. I thoroughly enjoy having my two babies around and I especially enjoy holding them and watching them play. However, for two nights in a row I have had them on the couch with me and they have scratched me up really bad with their little nails as they were trying to get comfy. I don't dare clip them or do anything like that but they really hurt and even this morning my arm is on fire! Is there anything I can do that won't hurt them but at the same time they won't keep slicing me apart? Thanks in advance! :)

2. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    Try filing them!

3. Ovidia17

Ovidia17 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks I will try for sure. I just wasn't sure if it was an ok thing to do.

4. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    If they go in a brooder then using sand as a litter will help keep them filed down and also cleaner.

5. Ovidia17

Ovidia17 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the tip. They are definitely going outside when they get bigger. Sand works for me. :D

6. pinusresinosa

pinusresinosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    North Branch, MN
    Is that them in your profile pic? My goodness, cuties!

I have one that will cuddle with me but she does have daggers on her feet, especially now that she's older. I think of scratches like kitten scratches- they don't mean to do it, hurts, but forgivable.

Filing would make it better of course as suggested. Advice I could take myself.

7. Ovidia17

Ovidia17 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    North Carolina
    That IS them in my profile picture. They are much bigger now and are losing their adorable yellow fluff. I am going to try filing their nails today. Hopefully it will go smoothly and I can do it without getting cut to pieces. If you file yours... Good luck! :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by