baby duck got in chick pen was eating chick food help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by samandmike, Apr 23, 2009.

1. samandmike

samandmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    now it is acting drunk is it going to dye i know they cant eat that its medicated i also need to know when the other ducklings can eat regular chicken food and do thay need grit like chickens or not thanks for any help

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What medication was in the chick feed?

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Chicken feed is a poor substitute for duck food.

You'd be better off getting waterfowl food for your ducks. It can be a challenge to find it but its so much better for them. Ducks need extra niacin and they don't need all the added extra junk thats in chicken feed.

Some duck foods:

Mazuri
    Purina
    Blue Seal

Do an internet search. If you have any feed stores near you, you can ask them to order duck food for you.

I can't answer you about your duck getting into the medicated feed, sorry.

good luck

Laurie

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I hope he's still ok...some folks do feed medicated starter to their ducks...i wouldn't recommend it because the dosage is not right for the ducklings body...just get him back on the unmedicated feed!

5. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    The only thing I have available out here is medicated or non, chick starter, and my ducklings do fine. Make sure there is enough heat, draft free area, etc.

I don't know what to tell you...my ducks only eat chick starter...before I knew about the medication thing they got only that and had no problems. All my newer batches now are on non-medicated chick starter. Maybe buy some niacin pills and add those groudn up to regular chick feed?

You might want to post in the emergencies section just in case about the drunk behavior...I've never had that happen in my ducklings.

Good luck, I hope your little adventurere lives!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Maybe buy some niacin pills and add those groudn up to regular chick feed?

Some crushed up Brewer's yeast tablets do the trick​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by