Baby duck help....Pics added

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SunAngel, May 1, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Our first 3 ducklings hatched on Tuesday from eggs I incubated from my quad of Swedish. They are so adorable!!

My problem is, they stand at the cage door and peep continuously until I go get them out and hold them. They have a heat lamp, food and a water dish that they play in. Why do they keep yelling? I try to ignore them as long as possible, but they sound so pitiful!!

Our only other experience with ducklings was the 3 we bought last Spring and they got raised in with our chicks. I would like these 3 to be friendlier than the first 3, so I am trying to spend more time with them. Am I spoiling them though?

*New Question* Do you think the one with the different colored feet is probably a different gender than the other two with black feet and black beaks? Male or female?

The spoiled babies...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Who could resist that face?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    They want to be with you.
    Keep holding them and they will always want to be around you. They will eventually become "ducks" and not want to be around you as much as they get older, but the more attention you give them, the more they will be friendlier to you.

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I wish my ducklings wanted my attention. I have to corner and grab them for swim time. Didn't know a duckling could run so fast. I tried cuddling one girl last night. She nibbled my neck, but I don't think it was a love kiss. [​IMG]

4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    They have such a different personality than the 3 we got at TSC last year. I guess because I hatched them in the bator and we have been holding them all the time since. I hope they are friendlier, my kids really want to hold our adult ducks, but they want nothing to do with being handled.

5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I say enjoy it! You must be their mama ;-) They won't be quite so friendly when they get older, kinda like kids ;-), so enjoy while you can!

6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Oh I have to keep forcing myself to put them back. Its like teaching a real baby to go to sleep on its own lol.

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    [​IMG] the must LOVE there mom

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Can you give them a stuffed animal or something to cuddle when you aren't there? My goslings used a teddy bear.

9. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:Ha, that is how mine are! Grab um.

10. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Hold 'em until they fall asleep! The more you hold and play with them (with water and food breaks, obviously) the better they'll be as adults. Way more inclined to stick around you, and allow you to hold and cuddle them. [​IMG]

My duckling follows me all around the yard, screaming his head off if I walk too far away. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by