1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby duck hepatitis?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ash123, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Ash123

Ash123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I brought a sick duckling home from the feed store yesterday bc well, that's how I am. It was returned by a mother of a little girl who "loved" it a lot. When it started acting weird the mom brought it back. It looks like it could be duck hepatitis after reading on the internet (matches symptoms exactly.) My kids and I have been handling it and I'm now a little terrified. Is this something that can be transferred to people or animals? I know it prob can my chickens but they are outside away from it all. Also, has anyone had a duck arch it's back and fall over with its legs stiff and straight out and it not be hepatitis? It is constantly drinking water and I mean every 5 seconds and eating good. It looks a bit spraddle leg so I taped it's legs up. This morning it actually seems to have more energy and was even walking a little. It's not had a episode where it straightens it's legs and arches it's back since yesterday afternoon. It's still pretty lame and spraddle leg. The fact that it made it overnight and shows no worsening gives me a little hope. And help would be great! Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This link and thread will interest you, we see this so much this time of year, and most of the time some extra TLC along with certain vitamins will help these littles. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/856771/another-tractor-supply-duckling

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  3. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    And Ash123, you are right to consider your family's health. Since I'm neither an MD or vet, and I'm not there, I can't guarantee that my guesses are correct. Just one duck lover to another, these are my ideas, this is what I have found out.

That said, this does sound neurological, and those things many times can be helped with vitamin supplements.

Please keep us posted!

Pulling for the little, and for you!
    [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please keep us updated on how your duckling is doing. [​IMG]

6. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    He/she is up running around now. Yesterday I walked by the poor thing laying on it's back and made the comment to my daughter that the sweet thing was dying. I never thought that today it would be at my house and even more so running around. It's neck is a little tilted still when it runs around but it is crazy how much it has improved in 24 hours. I think it would have died if I had left it there. I put some niacin in it's water this morning. That's the only thing I have done different besides taping it's legs bc it's a little spraddled. I'm thinking we aren't in danger at this point. I feel like if it was hepatitis it wouldn't be getting better and would have died by now.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am so encouraged by your report!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's great news!!! keep up with the niacin till it's about 10-12 weeks old.

9. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Do you know if I can mix the niacin with the vitamins and electrolytes i was already giving her?

10. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Someone else said I might could but I have been through so much with her, I want to be sure it's not going to make her sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by