Baby duck just finished completely hatching, but still has part of his umbilical cord

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AltTipton, May 23, 2018.

1. AltTipton

AltTipton In the Brooder

May 23, 2018
    He just came completely out. He hatched on the narrow end of the egg. I actually didn't think he was gonna hatch at all bc his egg had some major bruising on the outside. When he hatched the inside of his egg was still bloody, not oozing blood, just a light coating, he has blood on him and his umbilical cord is still there and had a little blood coming out. The bleeding in his umbilical has stopped. He is in a sterile box in the brooder, no other eggs have hatched yet, I'm expecting them within the next day or two, so I don't have to worry about pecking. He seems week, not really trying to stand. breathing fine and chirping a lot. Will he be OK? Should I give him sugar water? This is my first duck hatching.

casportpony likes this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC! Can you post a picture of his umbilicus?

3. AltTipton

AltTipton In the Brooder

May 23, 2018
    Sorry I thought I had posted it.

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

It should finish drawing in and dry up keep the little one on something soft and clean so it doesn't catch it on anything and cause bleeding .

How is it doing this morning? @AltTipton

casportpony likes this.
  5. AltTipton

AltTipton In the Brooder

May 23, 2018
    He is doing much better this morning. Moving around a bit more and now has two siblings he is sniggled up with.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

How's the navel area look? dried up?

casportpony likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

That looked okay..They are still absorbing the yolk after hatching. They sleep a lot the first 24 hours..It will dry up.

8. AltTipton

AltTipton In the Brooder

May 23, 2018
    All dried up and all good. He is perfectly healthy now. Thank you!!!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Glad he is better! I'm always a little nervous when mine look like that because the risk of them getting an infection is much higher than one that hatched with a properly closed umbilicus.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: