Baby duck not eating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tater13, Mar 30, 2017.

1. tater13

tater13 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    I just got 3 baby chickens and a baby duck. All range between 2 weeks to 3 weeks old. The baby duck is not eating drinks water just fine. But has spit up some water. The other chicks are eating and drinking just fine. Curious to know if it's just because of the new environment or if she is sick.any help would be appreciated.

2. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    First off you should get another duckling for this duckling so that it won't be doomed to only interact with chickens. The co-mingling of species is fantastic, I do it myself, but ducky needs another ducky too.

About the eating.... when did you get this duckling? Like today or yesterday? Could be new surroundings but doubtful... wet your ducky's food down and see if that makes it more appealing.

What are you (trying) to feed the duckling?

3. tater13

tater13 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017

4. tater13

tater13 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    We plan on getting another one. And he has been here a day. We tried wetting the food. And it's chick starter food, we were told it was ok for both chicks and ducks. I think it's nature wise.

5. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Is it non medicated or medicated? Ducks CANNOT have medicated chick starter.

(Not yelling at you, it's just for emphasis :D )

You should just get a feed that is designed for ducks and chickens. I recommend Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles. Designed for ducklings and chicks, it has the proper balanced diet that they do desperately need to be healthy physically and neurologically. You can feed them this up until they start laying. Then you can switch to Nutrena All Flock.

6. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    If ducky won't eat, try making a water/food mixture and feed the duckling by syringe.

Is the duckling playing and pooping like normal?

7. tater13

tater13 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    It's non medicated feed and as far as playing goes she moves about and hangs with the group. Haven't seen her poop tho.

8. tater13

tater13 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    I will try the other feed as well

9. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Good that she's acting normal but eating is still a problem. Syringe feed so she is getting some nutrients and keep encouraging her to eat. Maybe try adding some treats to her feed (thawed peas, oats, squished blue berries, very small diced tomato, or dried mealworms from TSC)

10. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Awesome. You can feed it to the chicks too. :) easier to buy one feed for all the poultry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by