1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby duck not using right leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjg206, Mar 23, 2017.

1. jjg206

jjg206 New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    I just bought my first set of 3 ducklings and one of them isnt standing up. The other 2 are standing tall. It only lies down and tries to move around without putting weight on the leg. I have picked her/him up tried to straighten it out and it seems fine. Im not sure if this is a common thing with ducklings or not. We didnt notice it when we bought her just noticed her on day 2. She couldve been injuried when we bought her but we are not sure. They are about a week old so i assume she should be moving around like the other 2. She eats and drinks by hopping to the water and food. Has anyone had a duckling that has done this? I read that if their leg is broke we should put a stint on it. We are getting brewers yeast but i need to read up more to see if they can have that at this age. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of your help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vitamins for poultry would be good to add to the water, or you can use the brewer's yeast for B vitamins, but hard to gage what dosage to use. Google chicken chairs and slings to get some ideas on making your own chick chair to get the duckling upright if needed to get to food and water. As long as it is getting plenty, then hold off on the chair. Sprains or birth defects, such as slipped tendon or leg bone deformity can be common in all poultry. Vitamin or mineral deficiency are common as well. Poultry Cell vitamins/minerals can be given orally to just that duckling1-2 ml daily. Amiga and others on the duck thread may be able to help if you also post on the duck forum which you can get to by going to the top of this page to Forum and scrolling down to "other backyard poultry."

3. jjg206

jjg206 New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by