Baby duck with a bad eye

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laura8700, Oct 24, 2014.

1. laura8700

laura8700 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Warrenton va
    So we rescued a baby duckling from
    A broody hen yesterday morning that she kicked out.
    He has been in incubator with another little guy. Anyways, he is all fluffed up and looks great. Except. His one eye. He won't open it. The kids said they saw it open once but it was blueish and cloudy. I went down this am and he still has it closed tight. What are the chances that broody hen pecked his eye? Anything I can do for it? Maybe I can getvtina patch and make him a pirate duck ;) j.k

Thoughts?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Poor baby, so he was under a chicken? quite possible it got pecked. I use polysporin for eyes and found it massively effective for both chickens, ducks etc...

I would also use a warm wet cloth to bathe the eye...

[​IMG]

3. laura8700

Sep 10, 2014
    Warrenton va
    Thank you. I'll try that today ;)

4. emmyeggplant

emmyeggplant Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    Ohio
    I have a pekin that was injured by a wild animal when she was a month old. She had been bitten around her right eye and when I took her to the vet they gave me polysporin, like Going Quackers suggested. They also had me administer regular eye drops like Thera Tears. I alternated between those two things every 3-4hrs. The eye healed and she can blink it, but she can't see out of it. Even though she is blind in that eye she has adapted quite well and is now almost a year old. The only time you can really tell is when she starts drifting away from the flock or has to turn her head to the other side to see what's going on. She's a sweet girl, since we spent a lot of time together while she was getting better and she is top duck in the flock which I am very proud of her for since she also lost part of her bill and left wing when she was attacked.

5. laura8700

Sep 10, 2014
    Warrenton va
    The warm compress and polysporin worked great. They moved in with the one week old ones and all are doing great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by