1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby duck with curled feet.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gretchenhau, Feb 11, 2009.

1. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    I hatched a peking duck, His feet are curled inwards, almost rounded, He can't walk on his feet, kinda scoots, hops and fallss over, will he outgrow this, what caused it and what do I do now? Argh.

Help

2. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Are the feet deformed or if you un curl do they look fine? If they look fine after n curling, then get out your tape and and wooden match sticks. Tape the match sticks on its foot (under each toe to back of foot should be a match stick) to make a make shift cast. You will have to do this everyday because of the moisture that can get in cast. After a few days it should be as good as the others. Hope this helps. Oh yes and let them swim a litle each day to help the foot, we just put it in the water with the cast on and after would dry foot and replace cast. Blessings!

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Can you post some pics? If they are just curled the booties will really help. He could also need some niacin to help his legs if it is a weakness, and if it is a true deformity you'll just have to help him find what works for him and help him adjust. Pics would really help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by