baby duck with lots of problems

pattyhen

Chicks Ducks oh my
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Our mother duck hatched her babies May 14th and we noticed this little one that was always on his back. He is the only one out of the group that has a huge top knot. On the top of her head is a brown growth it doesn't look like a scab it looks like a small tumor. His beak has a small cut in it also across the top. He can't hardly keep his balance he keeps flipping over on his back. We tried putting vet wrap on his legs to see if that would help but all he does is crawl with that on. I bought brewers yeast and all they had was the pills. We ground them up and put half a pill in his water. He drinks allot but just nibbles on the food so that's why we put the brewers yeast in the water. We've got him in the house with a light on him and he's on a towel in a cage. He spends most of his time on his back unless I wrap him in a towel or hold him.

My grandson is charging his phone so I can take pictures of him so you all can see what he looks like.

Can someone please help us? Thank you so much.

Patty

Miss Lydia I think this little duckling has improved Turbo at least 80%. Turbo was little rough at first trying to figure out this strange creatures beak and little beady eyes. She didn't look like a human at all but she was sure nice to cuddle up to and take naps. Turbo slept in his cage for the first time last night. He was checked on many times to make sure he hadn't flipped on his back. He drank all of his water with the nutrdrench in it so he was up and about. He's still not steady on his feet but he's making progress with that too. Oh by the way I've named the little one Que Sera which means what will be will be.

Turbo has taught Que Sera how to eat and drink. They stand side by side at the food bowl and water bowl. He wouldn't eat his breakfast in the kitchen because Que Sera was in the cage crying for him. He's a big boy now.

Anyway I am so happy for him. I can sit and watch the two of them for hours.

Thanks for your interest in the little guy he sure is a sweetheart and I am so thankful I found Que Sera.

Patty

P.s. I'll keep your updated on the two of them.

Turbo is eating and drinking like a pig. I tried the sling. The first time I used a plastic container short enough to where his feet could barely touch. He pulled his leg out within minutes and got out of the sling. Then I used a deeper container to where his feet didn't touch and he still pulled his leg out of the hole and got out of the sling. I tried the cup and he is to tall for that he shot out of that like a cannon. The glass I put a wash rag in with him and he climbed the wash rag. He has been bad today. I got some velcrow and elastic thinking I might be able to make him a harness and that didn't work. He has the strength in those little legs to walk it is just his balance that is stopping him.

He swam today in the sink. There was a couple of times I had to stop him from flipping over in the water but he was using those legs like a normal duck.

Thanks for all the suggestions I really did try to make them work. He uses those little claws on his feet like a cat and doing anything with him is like wrestling with a summa wrestler.

Have a great evening I'm sorry I didn't post sooner.

Patty
Eating like a little pig is awesome. Now to just get some strength in that neck so he can hold his head up. Have you ever gently felt around in his crest? just wondering how much of his skull is open. Not sure if that would make a difference though. Well we'll just keep praying for Him that soon he'll be strong enough to carry that crest around normal. Give him a hug. and here is one for you too
hugs.gif

I should have gotten a pic of her.  She was my all time favorite chicken.  Aww I bet they loved Opie at the nursing home.  Of course they wanted to hold him.  Who can resist a baby duckling and especially when it's Opie.  

My mom loved chickens the way I do.  When she would come to visit she would always want me to go get one of the chickens so she could hold it.  She said it reminded her of holding a baby.  When she went to a nursing home I asked if I could bring one of my chickens to go see her.  They told me it would be ok.  I took Eva a little sebright hen to visit her.  Mom loved it.  She had held Eva many times before.  Some of the aids and nurses wouldn't even come in the room because they were afraid of Eva.  Eva weighed about a pound.  Mom had a crowd of people in the hallway all peeping in to see this chicken.  Several people did venture in to pet her.  Eva loved the attention and enjoyed the petting.  

Patty
sweet sweet story Patty about Eva and your mom. I would have love to have held that little bird. On the rare occasions I bold my finches and kiss them, it makes my brain feel good; neurotransmitters firing off dopamine. That is why there is nothing crazy about one loving, housing, dressing or snuggling their bird.

Clyde is taking his pills every morning. He acts like he expects it now and it makes him feel special I think. My aim is not very good but I'll say Clyde go get it and he does. I have to hurry because the others are gobbling their eggs and they will go after his bread if they get finished first. I always save him some egg too and I throw that after he eats his bread with the pills in it. Clyde is still hobbling around but he seems to be up more then what he was. I can see improvement and that is good.

Josh is doing very good thank you. I worried about him getting blood clots but I don't think he will. He has a dr's appointment wednesday for a check up and we'll see what the dr. says. I'll let you know but I think he is doing great. I thank god for the great care he got in the hospital.

Patty

I'm so glad to hear that Josh is doing well, Patty, and also that Clyde is taking his med. That's so funny. Ducks don't like new things, but then they become a habit. Now you just need to wonder how Clyde is going to do when he doesn't get his special bread treat. LOL.

Please let us know how things come out with Josh. I know I don't engage in the conversational posts all that often, but it's not for lack of caring, just lack of time. It's always very difficult to have something happen to one of your children and on down that line. It's just not supposed to happen to people who are younger than you, and I know my mind has always had a lot of trouble coming to terms with things like that.

You made me laugh Patty I get the same look when mine come to the back door, most of the time it's the I am starved look like she hasn't feed us in months and I am the one who feeds them.
hmm.png
I've never left mine closed up before they have their doors open but they hang out under the wood shed when it's raining or snowing there are a few that will venture out in it but not many. Mainly my older roo and his girl they can get pretty drippy. And poor Opie I wouldn't let him in today because I have a neighbor coming by for a visit this afternoon and I didn't want her to think the dogs got hold of a feather pillow, so he was looking pretty dejected at the back fence. It's raining here to. good for the grass. Ours has actually come up but I have to whisper that.

I was thinking...hey, never mind the neighbor!

Yep they are all like puppies with feathers that is the only difference. lol Well I caved and let Opie inside that poor pitiful face I could resist anymore the neighbor will just have to understand.
smile.png

clap.gif
And then I saw this one. Yay!

Ducks with shell. I get it. Gosh your a wealth of knowledge In case I ever need to over winter a turtle.. I really love coming across them while we're walking.

HA! Exactly, Patti. You know me, if I'm going to keep a pet, I read like crazy in the hopes of doing it right. I adore them. Hope to find more this Spring. We actually did mark ours with some nail polish on their shells to see if they return, but we never saw them this year.

Miss Wonky does , she's spoiled tho. When it's cold she stays with the younger ducks in the chicken coop with a heat lamp. I may make this one into a house duck and try to help her have the best life she can.

Back
Top Bottom