Baby duck won’t walk

Sierra67

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
I helped a baby duck hatch yesterday and it’s now been 15 hours and she still isn’t walking, she’s being more active, chirpy, eyes more open than before but still not fully. It looks to me like she can’t bring the right leg forward in order to be able to walk and her head always pulls to that side so she falls over, what can I do for her or is it too late to help her now, she drinks a ton of water when I offer it and I’m about to try some food.

49FEBB73-3217-4825-B75F-236419C52C1D.jpeg

Is there something wrong or will she be ok

Good for you. Sometimes it takes a few days for them to get up and going, hopefully your little will be fine now that your beginning to see some improvement already. Those shoes to keep feet and toes in proper alignment are awesome aren’t they? Keep us updated

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing me say it, but I've dealt with enough assisted hatches because of the breed I hatch and Poultry cell is my go to for situations like these. In May I had an assisted hatch drake who was struggling just like yours: couldn't walk, would trip and fall, seemed to have trouble at times with his head. I gave him .25 cc Poultry cell daily for the first 3-4 days in a syringe and then after that just added it to their water for another week. It works like magic! This is Dorian now (named him Dorian because he likes the extra attention since the beginning 😂)-
PXL_20210628_232122316~2.jpg

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing me say it, but I've dealt with enough assisted hatches because of the breed I hatch and Poultry cell is my go to for situations like these. In May I had an assisted hatch drake who was struggling just like yours: couldn't walk, would trip and fall, seemed to have trouble at times with his head. I gave him .25 cc Poultry cell daily for the first 3-4 days in a syringe and then after that just added it to their water for another week. It works like magic! This is Dorian now (named him Dorian because he likes the extra attention since the beginning 😂)-
View attachment 2762006
Thank for the option, right now I have poul-vite that I’m adding to her water

Just always be very careful when giving any liquid to ducklings, poultry if using a syringe or dropper. You don't want the liquid going down into the lungs which can cause pneumonia.
I’m watching everything she does carefully and I’m not using a syringe I just have a small container of water I lightly put her bill in and she either drinks it or lifts her head away

Back
Top Bottom