Baby Duck - Yeast

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Theprussia4, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Theprussia4

Theprussia4 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Can self rising yeast be used in place of Brewers to help a baby duck with a niacin deficiency??

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    No. Needs to be brewer's yeast, also called nutritional yeast.

2 people like this.
  3. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

I agree with Lomine. If you have any more questions about Niacin Deficiency I might be able to help you, since one of mine had it. By the way, Welcome to BYC!!! It's great to have you!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  4. Theprussia4

Jun 25, 2012
    Yes please! I have a 2 1/2 week old duckling with it. Could I give him tuna??? I know tuna is very very high in Niacin. For the moment, until I can get him the proper things for this, I've been giving him some Cheerios soaked in Electrolyte.

5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Are you talking canned tuna? Then I would say no as it's going to have too much salt. Even the kind made without salt is going to have sodium. I suggest you stop feeding the duckling Cheerios. They're not going to offer any nutritional value to the diet. You should be able to just add the electrolytes directly to the water. At this age you want to be careful not to give too many treats. Should be eating mostly feed.
    Remember that if you give anything other than the store bought feed you need to offer grit. If getting at the store get the stuff made for chicks. You can also use clean sand from your yard (meaning no pesticides and the like).
    Here's a great link that gives information on the other option for supplementing niacin. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html?m=1

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  6. Theprussia4

Jun 25, 2012
    Gotcha, thanks

7. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Peas have Niacin in them, and ducks LOVE them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by