Baby duck

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bbduckies, Apr 12, 2017.

1. bbduckies

bbduckies New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Baby duck head got pecked theres almost no hair left and he can barely walk help please

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Got pecked by what? Is there blood? How long ago?

First thing, keep the duckling alone in a warm, dry spot. Please describe recent behavior. Has he eaten, drank water, pooed?

3. bbduckies

bbduckies New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    He was pecked by a rooster yesterday he is just walking funny and keeps on falling and he has a large amount of hair gone with little to no bleeding but it looks really bad

4. bbduckies

bbduckies New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    He's drank, ate , pooped all of the normal things he just looks really bad and is not walking straight he can barely keep himself up

5. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Any chance you can get some video of him trying to walk?

I'll tag some other members that have more experience with health issues & hopefully they'll have some input/suggestions.

@Amiga
    @Miss Lydia
    @WVduckchick
    @casportpony

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He may have brain damage from the pecking. Which could cause his walking problems. He also made need niacin added to his diet. Niacin deficiencies can cause trouble with legs/ motion.

You do need advice from someone who knows MUCH more than I do. I hope he will be okay.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Get him away from the rooster, away from chickens. Do you have other ducklings? They need to be kept in a brooder, not with adults.

He would be best seen by a good duck vet.

Meanwhile, he needs to be indoors, away from flies. Get a mild saline rinse and rinse his head - how are his eyes? Can he see? If he has an ear infection that will affect his balance.

Keep him in a brooder that is the correct temperature. What is he eating? Does he have water 24/7?

What are you doing to hellp him ?

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bbduckies [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I have no experience with ducks but I did just want to wish you and your little one all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas and :welcome! Super to have you in our community! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :celebrate

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

How is the duckling today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by