Baby duckling, broken leg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katlyntriplett, Apr 2, 2017.

1. katlyntriplett

katlyntriplett New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
    Hello! So we have a baby Mallard that appears to have a broken leg. It's swollen at the base of the leg and he doesn't put any weight on it at all. We just got 6 ducks and saw this one was struggling so we separated him and a friend so he wouldn't be lonely. But my main worry is he's way smaller than his friends which we got at the same time at the same age! They're maybe 1-3 weeks old. He is eating and drinking perfectly, and getting around despite his injury. But I was wondering if I should splint him or if I should just let him heal as he naturally would. Also should I be worried that he is smaller than his friends! Thanks so much for any help at all, I'm new to the duck owner life and my family has more of a farmers mindset on if they get injured they will just die and there is no point in fighting for their little lives so besides my husband I'm alone in trying to rehabilitate him.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  2. BirdCrazy11

BirdCrazy11 New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    If I were you I would make a popsicle splint. A popsicle splint is a splint made with two popsicle sticks, one on each side of the leg. To make it, get some gauze and wrap it around the leg in question. Next take the two popsicle sticks and put one on each side of the leg. Finally take some medical tape and wrap it around the popsicle sticks and gauze so it all stays on. And remember to cut the popsicle to the right size. Also, remove it every other day to allow it to "air out". Hope this was helpful and your little baby is ok.

3. HollistonHomesteading

HollistonHomesteading Just Hatched

May 30, 2017
    Holliston, MA
    I also have a duck who I think needs two (2) splints (one on each leg).

I got him 2 weeks ago. At that time, he was two months old. I didn't notice his leg problem until we got home (I bought several and the seller put them in the crate for me).

At first it just seemed like 1 leg. I read up on leg problems in water fowl and tried extra niacin first. No real change after a week. I then stopped the niacin while I tried to figure out the next step.
    Here is a link to a video of him "walking"....

So, I think I need to do splints on both legs but also make a little "boot" to keep his foot from folding over.

The real question is "then what". He doesn't move around much now. I can imagine he won't move at all with 2 splints on...

I plan to do "physical therapy" with him and make him walk everyday in increasing lengths of time -- but what do i do with him during down time. Is it better to just leave him with his friends (remember, he just sits there and they walk around and then come back to him)... or should I put him in something like a "jolly jumper" that supports him but also keeps his legs straight and allows some weight on them??

I plan to post videos of me making the spints as well as his progress because this seems to a common duck issue.

Ideas and suggestions welcome!!!
    Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by