Baby Duckling came in the mail w/ one eye swollen shut ~ Need advice!!

Smitty's Farm

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 24, 2007
St Clair County, Il

This is Nelson the reason why we now have 3 new baby Pekin ducklings. We were Rural King when the new shipment of ducks and chickens were being brought in from the Post Office. Nelson came in the mail with it's eye swollen shut. Of course my soft hearted teen DD felt so bad for it she wanted to adopt it. She was afraid no one else would or that it would be culled. We bought 3 just incase this little one doesn't make it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It is getting bigger each day. I don't know if it was hatched this way or if there was an accident. Just curious if anyone can give me some advice. He is eating and drinking. We are not new to the forum, but new to ducks. Thank you~ Smitty's Farm

Poor little Nelson- he needs antibiotics most likely- but strange that one so young would have such a large infection already- surely the hatchery wouldnt have sent one with such a problem. With the lump being so large it may need to be drained by a vet. Sorry I cant be more help- but with it being so young, its hard to know from the tiny pic exactly what could be going on. It could even be a tumor- or a crest gone very wrong.

Clean the eye with warm water and then place warm compres on the eye.Keep eye clean and do compres several times a day.
You can call a vet monday and see what they say.

Hello,
this was quite some time ago but how did this end up? We just received our first set of 3 day old ducks and one of ours has a closed eye as well. It almost looks infectious but the ducks appears just as active as the other two. Not quite sure what to do.
Thank you!

Hello,
this was quite some time ago but how did this end up? We just received our first set of 3 day old ducks and one of ours has a closed eye as well. It almost looks infectious but the ducks appears just as active as the other two. Not quite sure what to do.
Thank you!

Could be hatching gunk stuck on/around the eye... I would try a warm, wet compress held to the eye for a while to see if that softens it up and gently wipe it clean and see if that does the trick...

Back
Top Bottom