Baby duckling foot turned inwards

mscrunk85

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
We have 6, 5 day old ducklings and just yesterday noticed one of them that couldnt swim as well as the rest and was fine when went in tbe tub....when we noticed he or she almost sinking we took the duck out and one foot turned in wards then we held her then the other food turned in wards n she couldnt stand very well so we took her back out n waited till she driednoff n put her back in when she started moving more.she is the smallest of them all then one foot went normal then both went normal then one foot turned inwards again n still is..what do u think it is?

Attachments

• 20230205_120908.jpg
    20230205_120908.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 31
We have 6, 5 day old ducklings and just yesterday noticed one of them that couldnt swim as well as the rest and was fine when went in tbe tub....when we noticed he or she almost sinking we took the duck out and one foot turned in wards then we held her then the other food turned in wards n she couldnt stand very well so we took her back out n waited till she driednoff n put her back in when she started moving more.she is the smallest of them all then one foot went normal then both went normal then one foot turned inwards again n still is..what do u think it is?
Welcome to BYC!!

I have seen posts on here about making a “shoe” to help your duckling. If I remember right, you want a cardboard sole the shape of his normal foot. Then you use the colored vet tape to attach it to his foot. I will see if I can find a link.

Could you hold or stand the duckling alone so we can see more clearly?
Did this problem come on suddenly or has it had issues since hatch? Is it able to walk and get to the food etc?

What are they eating?

It wouldn't hurt to supplement extra niacin for this baby, some do need more than others. But I don't believe this is caused by a deficiency, it looks more like a deformity or injury from the photo.
More pictures would help a lot

Back
Top Bottom