Baby duckling rescued from cat.. help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Svaness, May 20, 2019.

1. Svaness

Svaness Chirping

Jun 26, 2018
    Hey. This evening my cat came home with a duckling. It's fortunately still alive. I caught it when is bum got stuck trying to get through our chicken wire... it's currently in a box in our brooder room... please tell me what I should do. I want to return it to its family if you all think that's possible. If not can I integrate with my chicks????

MROO and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  2. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Is it hurt? If not and you know where it came from the mama may take it back. If it’s wild I don’t know how well it will integrate into a tame flock. But you could try..

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  3. Svaness

Svaness Chirping

Jun 26, 2018
    Thanks for responding. It doesn't seem to be hurt. I've got it in a box lined with pine shavings with a heating pad underneath.
    We're not sure exactly where it came from and because we live in between two lakes there's usually a lot of ducks nesting.
    We have 36 chicks a little over a week old. This duckLing seems to be only a few days old.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    Can you post a photo of it?

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  5. Svaness

Svaness Chirping

Jun 26, 2018

Attached Files:

• 61.jpg
      61.jpg
      File size:
      496.4 KB
      Views:
    • 62.jpg
      62.jpg
      File size:
      523.1 KB
      Views:
    KikiDeAnime likes this.
  6. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    What a cutie! ❤️ If it’s wild, I don’t know how well it will integrate with your flock. It’s mom may not accept it even IF you find her. Do you have any wildlife rehab place in your area that you can contact?

Svaness likes this.
  7. Svaness

Svaness Chirping

Jun 26, 2018
    Super cute. Its past 10pm here so there's no one I can call until tomorrow.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  8. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

If you don't know, for sure, where it came from, setting it out on or around a pond is pretty much a death sentence. And I don't recommend putting it in with your chicks, either. As a wild bird, it should be quarantined before allowing it to be in contact with your babies. And be sure to wash up thoroughly between handlings.
    I'm big into rescuing, myself, so my first instinct is to keep and mother the duckling until it's ready to go back on the pond, but your own babies need protection. If you can't isolate the duckling and still keep it warm, then taking it to a wildlife bird rescue is your best bet.

Svaness likes this.
  9. Svaness

Svaness Chirping

Jun 26, 2018
    How long should it be quarantined for? I've never rescued a duck before but I knew it wouldn't have stood a chance.
    I'd like to do it myself and when it's ready to go out I'd like it to have the option of leaving or staying. Are there any risks to the chick raising aND then releasing? I wouldn't mind keeping it with my flock if it decides to stay

MROO likes this.
  10. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    I think if its young enough it might integrate well. Quarantine at least two weeks I think, if you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: