Baby Ducklings

hey im buying ducklings this friday and i need to know when they dont have there oil gland feathers can they swim plz and thank you.

Welcome to BYC. Ducklings are born with down, which doesn't protect them from becoming waterlogged. Ducklings can play in (shallow) water as long as they're supervised. Swim time should only be about 10 minutes per session initially. Watch closely & if you see signs of them being cold (they do shiver) remove them from the water. They should always be towel dried until they are fully feathered, which is about 12-16 weeks of age.

Best of luck & have fun!

G’Day from down under Dannyallen.. :frow Welcome!

Very exciting! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are a few down the bottom of the page which are duck specific and this one in particular may be of interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Raising and Caring for Ducklings

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your ducklings, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Best wishes and good luck!

welcome.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Deb gave a great answer!

Back
Top Bottom