Baby Ducks & A Good Ending.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Marlee25, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Marlee25

Marlee25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    So, My precious Bubbles Who wasn't even a year passed away Christmas Night. He was the best duck a young owner could have. I was naive, and fell asleep on the couch late that night and didn't close the hutch door to put him away. He goes in his coop at night with my female mallard, but he does live in a big fenced in backyard. He died fooling the predator (which we think was a hawk or owl) away from the coop, where my mallard Scrubbles was laying on some eggs. After his death, about two weeks later still way too cold for ducklings 8 babies hatched. 2 disappeared while I was visiting my grandparents, and 1 died of natural causes. So I have 5 left. My miracle babies, I will upload pictures when I can. So anyhow, My 5 babies, are extremely messy! && adorable. It's been about 2 months since they've hatched so they're getting bigger, and I have been debating to get another male drake. Could this cause harm to my babies? Or would my female not approve till they're older? I'm really debating it. I hope you can answer my question. Thanks. :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    I wouldnt get a male until the babies are older jsu tfor the saftey since male ducks can kill babies if they are not theres.

3. Marlee25

Marlee25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Thanks! I had no idea. :)

4. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Also do you know for sure the sex of your babies? By now you should be able to sex them by their quack. They still might have a little time before drake feathers show or heads start greening, but it should be pretty soon on those too.

With six ducks total:

1/5 - would be great [​IMG]
    2/4 - a bit heavy on the drakes [​IMG]
    3/3 - only if you have the mellowest drakes on the planet [​IMG]
    4/2 - time to start re-homing [​IMG]
    5/1 - sorry mama your babies gotta move out. [​IMG]

As a point of reference my Rouen drake at 2 months, 3 months and 4 months

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At 2 months the yellow/green of the bill was the only tell, and I am not sure how that would work with a mallard mix (I don't know what Bubbles was), but at two months I knew for sure he was a boy by the quack.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by