Baby Ducks and Chicks Together? Sad, please respond......(posted pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momma's chickens, May 20, 2008.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Came home from work today and went on my back porch, could tell something was wrong as I could hear this very, very LOUD chirping. Went into the chicken house and I had two new babies in a brooder in the coop with the other chickens but protected and safe. One of the babies had died and the other was having a fit. The live baby was very upset, held it and try to calm it down, wasn't sure what to do with it as it was very, very unhappy by itself. I put in with our two new ducks. The baby chick is a week tomorrow and so is the two ducks. The feed store was closed but was there yesterday to pick up my ducks and there was no chicks. I know they advise to keep them separated because the ducks make things wet but do you think this would work, or should I give the baby chick to my friend who has chicks the same age as this one.

I was glancing through past threads and see that some have brooded them together but opinions would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Sorry about your losing one of your chicks.

I have never put my ducks and chickens together. My sister has her ducks and chickens together, but they are older. Just a suggestion, but why not ask your friend if you could have or buy one of her chicks.

Dorothy

3. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I would really like to ask her, but she was all down with baby chicks about two months ago and then last Thursday her neice brings her one that the school kids hatched out. Well that one chick wasn't happy either so she only bought one more. She only has two so I am thinking if they can't be mixed I will have to give it to her. :| I know she will take good of it though.

4. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I would just watch them for now and hopefully someone with experience putting the two together will be able to give you some advice. Good luck.

In my opinion, I don't think that it will hurt, but like I said, I have not experienced it.

Dorothy

5. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Thanks, I am going to download a pic now and show you how they getting along.

6. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

So far, so good!

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  7. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    They will be ok. Ducks aren't aggressive, and they just want warmth and company at this age.

8. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    That is a precious pic!!!!! Looks like they'll grow together fine! [​IMG]

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got my ducks and chicks together. There are no probs whatsoever. They even groom each other on occasions. The ducks though get pretty big now, they are over a pound now while the smallest chick is barely 3oz.

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If it becomes a problem you could try getting it a stuffed animal friend or a mirror.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by