Baby Ducks Died

If they are babies, game STARTER should be used. Also DO NOT FEED CHICKEN STARTER. They need niacin which is in the game bird starter. Sorry for your loss.......

So sorry you lost your porr little ducklings. It is never easy to loose them
sad.png

So they need game bird starter. I knew they couldn't have medicated chick starter. And that's all the feed stores around here sells so they told me that they could eat flock raiser.

I fed all of my ducks and geese Flock Raiser. They are all healthy and beautiful adult birds. I have only lost two of the 40 or so ducks I have raised on Flock Raiser, mine didn't die from the food, they were just too weak to survive. I have always used Flock Raiser, it would NOT hurt them. Game bird starter has WAY too much protein. It causes kidney problems, leg weaknesses, and angel wing. I am SURE it was not the Flock Raiser. There must be some other cause such as Temperature. I am sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
But seriously, I could not disagree more that Flock Raiser would kill ducklings.

Last edited:
No abnormal stools or anything that I've noticed. I did notice that yesterday the one that was alive was very weak. Could they have gotten too hot. It had been over 100 here? And I have them in a box. Only about 1/3 or the top of the box is covered and the other part is wire. I had a light on then but since it this hot I turned it off

Yes, they could have gotten too hot. Ducklings don't need as much heat or for as long as chicks. I've got some that are about 3 weeks old and they quit brooding under the hen for heat the first week they hatched. Down in a box with no ventilation could very well be what killed them.

Back
Top Bottom