1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Baby Ducks: Do they require a different feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Minnowey, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    I am planning on getting three Swedish Blues this spring. I feed my chicks chick grit and am wondering if ducklings can eat that. Do they need it? Also, I am not sure if ducklings require a different feed than chicks. My Muscovy ducklings seem to do fine with the chick feed, but they have mothers and live outside from birth. Thanks in advance-Minnowey

2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    1 person likes this.
  3. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks.

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
  5. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    We feed wet (mash) Flock Raiser crumbles to ducklings. If you feed dry feed they will try to wet it down themselves in order to swallow it without choking so it is less mess if you wet it for them. As they grow they move to dry crumbles and then dry pellets. Flock Raiser is a complete feed that meets the nutritional requirements of ducks at all ages.

1 person likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I feed Duck starter and make it into a warm soupy mess....Not sure why in the US you can not buy Duck feed....IF hatcheries sell Ducklings? Why can they not help with locating the Duck feed?
    Just something I often wonder about......?

Best of luck with the Ducklings.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by