Baby ducks for duck newbie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coloradochick, Feb 29, 2008.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Just curious. I just saw ThreeBoysChicks' Ideal order and the ducklings in there are Oh WoW! so cute. Is there a type that would be easier for a person that has never raised ducks to start out with that would be easier than the others? Or are they all the same in that respect?

2. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    The first ducks I had were Pekin. They were really sweet and easy to take care of, but so were the Mallards. I think in general they are all pretty easy, just messy.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I heard they are messy but you can care for them like chickens. just need a kiddie pool, shelter and run

4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I think they are probably all about equal in terms of care.

You might want to consider what you want them to look like when they are fully grown, if you want to get eggs from them regularly, or otherwise use them for culinary purposes. Those are better distinguishing categories.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I let my ducks free range. They are trained to "go to bed" at night in a shelter. I'd say ducks are far easier to keep than chickens!

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ducks are super easy and great watch dogs. They are all pretty easy to raise, my Pekin, Mallard, Runners are all wonderful!

7. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by